An unusual open-air museum. The Düppel Museum is a reconstruction of an existing village in the same place from the thirteenth century. The museum as it exists today was opened in 1975.
A village of wooden huts and straw roofs, shaped like a horseshoe, and each corresponds to a hut trades that was present in the initial village hut of the weaver, the blacksmith, the hut used for storage cereal and one for baking bread etc. There are about fifteen plus some other buildings housing small souvenir shops, a Restauration, and finally pens with animals. The village is fully protected by a fence.
These are students who, in spring 1939, discovers objects or pieces of objects dating from the days when the village was active. Archaeological excavations were then held from 1968 to 1990. In particular, pieces of oak allows to date the village to the year 1208, plus or minus about two years. However, it appears that the village has been populated for about thirty years, about a generation, the departure of its villagers still nowadays not explained.
Note that this is just an attempt to reproduce the village as it was in its glory days, and not the real archaeological remains, however, the reconstruction work is remarkable and worth a visit. Firstly, the architectural technics and traditional wooden constructions have been totally respected. Then, each hut is full of details, and other small objects that were to be the same as about 800 years. Finally, volunteers, dressed in traditional costumes of the epoch, performs an artisanal activity in front of their huts: the women weave or make wicker baskets, the men forge the hot metal on the anvil … There is even a vegetable garden where they grow old and rare vegetables, and enclosures that housing ancient animals also, such as the meadow’s pig. Diving in the past is guaranteed!
The traces of the historic and ancient Berlin are so rare that it would be a regret to miss the Düppel Village Museum.